Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Killing Me Softly

My friend that had worked with me in England came to visit last week. We had a full itinerary of hiking, wine tasting, surfing, and trail running. When her last evening was upon us we decided that it was only fair to the world if we shared our musical talents. We went to a dive bar a few blocks from where I live called Bill's Place. Wine, schnapps, and beer kept us singing karaoke far too long, and it was a wonderful ending to her trip. Yet it was only the beginning of the turmoil that that night would bring.

The morning my friend had left (got to the train station with 3 minutes to spare) I hungoveredly dropped my phone into my coffee. There didn't seem to be much damage. I showed it to my boyfriend, and while he fiddled with it, he came across a poorly filmed selfie video of my friend and I, silently and with much exaggerated expressions, singing "Killing me Softly".

"Man, I wish I could hear this," he said while I sat back, relieved. A little while later his phone buzzed, and I heard my friend and I drunkenly butchering lyrics, one could say killing people softly with our words. He had sent the video to himself.

Every night since, whenever I see my boyfriend or his housemate, they start singing it. Next time I drink schnapps (which is hopefully never), the phone stays at home.