Friday, July 1, 2016

Dangers in the Pre-Cellphone Era

When I was in my freshman year of high school, my best friend and I had a journal that we passed back and forth between classes. It was a good way to keep in contact before cell phones became more discreet. I actually don't remember if I even had a cell phone then... Well, my friend would always write about her classes. She was a true academic, full of intellectual curiosity and brilliance. I always wrote about the boy that I liked. Well, I actually liked many boys, but I'd always like one person the most at a given time.

I liked this boy that had spoken to me maybe once. I just decided to like him for the fun of it. His dad and my dad were friends, and his dad joked around with me occasionally about his son. His son "had a good Chewbacca impression", so I drew pictures in the journal of me holding hands with Chewbacca. I have no excuses for how weird this was. I was bored, hyperactive, and obsessed with romance.

One day, my friend accidentally left the journal behind in one of her classes. Of all the people in the entire school who could have discovered this journal, it happened to be one of my crush's close friends. To my horror, his friend group read the journal.

Fortunately, my teenage self was so tactless that this didn't have too terrible an impression on my quest for love. And now, after all these years, I'm pretty sure that my Chewbacca impression is better than his was.