Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Chef

There's nothing like returning to a blog two years later. You probably think that embarrassing things stopped happening to me. That is not the case. [insert excuses]

A few months ago, I was working in a wine bar that connected to a restaurant. It was great fun, and I met an eclectic bunch of people. The restaurant, in attempt to remain on par with up-and-coming restaurants in the area, hired a new chef. She was cool. She had food-related tattoos, an energetic demeanor, and a passion for what she was doing. A refreshing breath of genuine person compared to the plastic walking platitudes that seem all too common when you're within a reasonable driving radius of LA.

One day, as I sat behind the bar during a not-too-busy moment, the chef came out from the kitchen to chat and we settled into getting to know each other conversation.

"So what do you do when you're not at work?" I asked.

"Oh, you know--hangout, spend time with my mom, spend time with my girl."

"I didn't know you had a daughter!" I said.

"I don't... My girlfriend," she corrected. And my brain went into overdrive at the sudden surprise. I am pro-gay rights, and this has never been an issue for me before, but I just felt this need to justify myself just then.

"I HAVE LOADS OF GAY FRIENDS." I (practically) shouted. She gave me a weird look.

"Uh, okay..." she said, and shortly thereafter returned to the kitchen.

I think I need to practice subtlety.