Monday, September 9, 2013

Francis Boyle

We took the girls on a walking tour of Oxford on Sunday morning. The tour guide was quite knowledgeable about all of the colleges and traditions of the town. She must have lived in Oxford for a long while. She had anecdotes about old kings and former pupils who had become famous, and so forth. We got to a plaque on a wall on High Street, commemorating Francis Boyle. The tour guide asked if anyone studied physics to which the eleven-year-old girls all responded in the negative. The tour guide said, ‘Gather ‘round, and I will tell you about Boyle’s Law!’ She waited for everyone to enter within hearing distance and give her undivided attention before she said, ‘Boyle’s Law was quite important for physics. It did something related to science… I’m not quite sure what exactly it is. I don’t actually study physics, myself…’ I laughed, and the girls all giggled. That is exactly how I would’ve given that part of the tour.