Wednesday, August 14, 2013

La Pronunciación Correcta


My grandfather, mio nonno, is fluent in four languages: English, Spanish, Italian, and Piemontese (I think that’s the last one). And he is pedantic about pronunciation in all of them. He corrects me every time I practice speaking Spanish.

After going to a fancy dinner party with him around Christmas-time last year, we drove back to the little town where he lives and found that all of the wine tasting rooms and bars were full of people. He and I decided to join the festivities, and we went into one of the tasting rooms.

One of the women that owns a tasting room there is engaged to the actor from The Breakfast Club, Emilio Estevez. He occasionally makes appearances, but my grandfather didn’t know that he was an actor. He sat down next to him and struck up a conversation.

“What’s your name?” my grandfather asked.

“Emilio.”

“Emilio what?”

“Emilio Estevez.”

“No, no. It’s Es-te-vez,” my grandfather corrected. Ha.