Friday, August 2, 2013

Craic Addicts


In Ireland, the word ‘craic’ (pronounced ‘crack’) means ‘fun’. “What’s the craic?” is a common expression that can be substituted for “What’s up?”, etc.

When I first arrived in Ireland I was fresh-faced, ready to hear accents and see old castles. I dropped my stuff off at a hostel, and I went to an area of Dublin called Temple Bar for the evening. It’s a touristy area, but I heard fiddle music and was completely charmed.

And then someone came up to me on the street and said, “Oy! Where’s the craic?”

“GET AWAY FROM ME!” I screamed, thrashing my purse back and forth at the poor lad who was probably just looking for a nice place to grab a pint. What is this place? I thought. I was frightened of living in the city until I was informed of colloquialisms at International Student Orientation the next day.