Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Scary Love


I have been babysitting and nannying for one family since I was 12 years old, the age that the oldest child is now. When the girl was only three or four and I was a teenager, I was watching her at my house. I had a friend over, and we had spent all afternoon playing in the yard. We moved up to the porch as evening approached. My friend and I were having fine discussions about being teenagers, no doubt laced with hubris, when the little girl decided that she had had enough of the outdoors.

“I’m ready to go in now,” she said confidently.

“Well you can go inside,” I said, motioning to the door.

“Well who will babysit me?” she asked in a huff.

“Joseph is inside. He will watch you.”

“No! Not Joseph!”

“My mom is inside too,” I said, spying my mom through the kitchen window.

“No, it has to be you,” she responded.

“Why?” I asked.

Her face turned red and contorted in anger.

“BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!”